How to Get Custody of My 16 Year Old Brother? in Nj?

Question by Michelle: How to get custody of my 16 year old brother? In nj?
My little brother is 16. He is living with my mother who is addicted to pain killers due to her getting sick 7 years ago. She has recently got kicked out of her pain management doctors for failing a drug test and is lying about it . She is mentally unstable and is suicidal. I have tried to get her to go into a rehab or go and take suboxsen ( im not sure how to spell that). She has 14 days left of her pain meds until she starts to withdrawal. She has also been snorting coke since i can remember. She let my brother drop out of school at 14 and has let him stay home and do nothing. Her house is a disaster and is not getting any better. Her husband is an alcoholic who mentally abuses the two of them with his hurtful words and verbal threats. His father is an old man with many health problems. He has not had contact with him in 2 years but does pay child support. I have been taking care of my little brother since I can remember. I am 21 years old engaged and I have a stable house for him to be in. How do I go about getting custody of him. I cant let him live there anymore its not safe and he needs to be a normal child for once in his life. I fear that he will soon start fallowing in my mothers foot steps. And i know she will give him what ever pills. drugs/ alcohol he wants. I CAN NOT LET THIS HAPPEN.
thank you everyone .. I do understand what it is like taking him on. I have been a parent to him since he was little. He is not going to want to come with me but he is also very unstable right now do the conditions he is living in. im looking for a lawyer as we speak.

Best answer:

Answer by ladystang
talk to her doctors abd get a lawyer

What do you think? Answer below!


3 Responses to How to Get Custody of My 16 Year Old Brother? in Nj?

  • Dave87gn says:

    start with a good lawyer

  • LovesTheConstitution says:

    You already have a good answer: Consult your attorney. There may be a couple of good options available for you. None will work without the advice of an attorney familiar with family law in your state.

  • Devin says:

    1. Talk to other people about it, prefer your opinion to some smart educated people, such as lawyers and people involved with the law.
    2. Get a lawyer on your side, and try to collect as much evidence against your brother as possible.
    3. If you have any relatives who you can inform of this situation, tell them and also try to get them to go against your brother.
    4. Tell a police officer, and get involved. If you are successful, you can have a trial and get him into custody like you said. I’m sure you’ll win since you really have hope, and you are down to not let this happen 😀

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *